Saturday, March 5, 2011

Tiger Mom ate my daughter and the Cinderella Battle Hymn

You may wonder about my title! Well it's the clash of civilizations in parenting literature always fun for all. Two great books on parenting but different views. Very different.
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom. I love the book! A Yale law professor that will make time to teach and be home with her children and in a some what crazy style. Makes motherhood look real and wonderful. She is there with and for her children every step of the way and giving notes. The debate in the news is she crazy? ...Ahh, most definitely, but I don't think one should judge her solely on that! Which Mom is not crazy in one form or another, though? It's a different style of parenting, look at it as such and if you want to change your style do it. She has a clear vision of where she wants her girls to go with music, and school. She wants her daughters to succeed. Great example of hard work.

Cinderella Ate my Daughter I found in the section of Barnes and Noble women's study. Which was odd considering its brand new and in parenting books. It is an informative view on the princess movement. Though the author lacks a clear picture of what she wants her daughter to be. Clearly she does not want them to be princesses entitled and only with beauty and charm. She leaves that realm open to the child, but is shockingly horrified to find out that her daughter wants to be a Disney princess. Still I'm reading it so maybe she will tell us as mothers how to teach our daughters a better way. I don't think so considering her feminist view never takes in consideration that boys and girls may think differently. Though I'm enjoying the Cinderella Battle Hymn which does terrorify me. The Tiger Mom would eat her daughter for lunch while beating that princess out of her because she has a clear vision of what they should do even at a young age. Though that is a debate of the West vs the rest in parenting style. I like the history and education of the book though. Parenting here in the USA is relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment