Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ice Cream Candied Real Pirates

I'm more of a ninja gal myself, but the exhibit for real pirates was so tempting that Mr. Incredible and I went to it. Having eaten my divine ice cream candied malts before the museum having each color was a blast of a different flavor like green apple, dreamsicle and vanilla. Set a great tone to seeing a cool yet disturbing piece of history. Pirates were business men with moral compasses that didn't always point north. This I already knew.

Unlike the Somalian pirates of our day with dinghys and AK-47's,(and Disney's ride was changed from raging after women to raging after food): these pirates particularly the whydah pirates that were highlighted set themselves more in style with silks, beautifully decorated pistols called the George Washington and commandeered a slave ship thus continuing the lucrative trade of slaves adding to the list of goodies they could sell. Rum+Slave=Caribbean style, right?

Why is it that men do crazy things for women? Sam Bellamy the captain took up piracy to gain his love Maria's hand. John King a 8 year old pirate who was willing to kill his mother to join the ranks. What crazy love? And I only thought Disney could make-up such a tale of a warped girl who did anything for the love of pirates. I was wrong! But what scally wag in his right mind would take such a psychotic kid under his wing? In a fight he does have the upper hand no one would suspect a 8 year-old who is willing to brutally torture someone for sport.

The ship that you get to walk through was awesome Mr. Incredible had to get his sea legs on. Interestingly Pirates had a better diet, living quarters and pay then merchant sailors. Who were treated a tad bit better then slaves and low-paid servants-- if paid at all. I questioned if the merchants better then the pirates? After seeing there treatment of people I'm unsure. Or is it a conspiracy to get me to watch the supposedly final movie of Disney's saga of Pirates? Curse you national geographic for making me think that piracy was a great alternative to being a honest laborer! Now, just don't ruin ninjas for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment