Sunday, October 28, 2012

Becoming Van Gogh

So we went to the becoming Van Gogh exhibit at the DAM this last week for our weekly date and it was slightly underwhelming compared to the other exhibits they have had previously.

With viewing Van Goghs I love seeing the texture of the strokes which on most of the pieces in the exhibit  was lost in a glass refection which covered the painting. Though for the $10 each person, we paid for it was worth it, if I paid $20 I would have hated it.
  Van Gogh finding his style was highlighted and my favorite part was his Japanese prints. They were beautiful! His life was more the highlight then his art in the exhibit.... the audio was distracting to the art more than enlightening, I ended up turning off my audio and glaring at the few self-portraits that they had of him and pondered on the difficulty that it would be to stare at myself in a mirror and paint, no wonder he had an interesting crazy look in his eyes. If I could talk to Van Gogh I would want to ask him if he was proud that his art went big or totally embarrassed. With my art if someone took my beginning sketches and mainly highlight them not displaying the best pieces in an exhibit--I would be embarrassed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment